On Saturday, my wife helped me sew closed the hole in the top on my Miata. When I bought the car, I didn't give it much thought. The sellers claimed that it didn't leak, and it had a patch behind it. With how the head gasket blew so soon, or may have already been blown, it stayed in the garage most of the time. But since it's been fixed, I've been wanting to drive it more and more, despite the extremely variable Florida weather and every time I drove it, I pretty much always put the top down, unknowingly increasing the size of the hole until the top of the patch started to fall open and I could see through it. That was when I knew something had to be done about it. So now, we're trying to figure out if we need to find some way of cleaning the old rubber cement off the back before proceeding to glue a new patch on the inside. After that, I plan on sealing the threads on the top to the top with some flexible Shoe Goo. I got the idea from this S2000 soft top repair thread
that a friend of mine shared with me. This is all just a "temporary" repair until I can hopefully afford a new top some time next year.
What we go through to save a little whole lot of money.
Cross fingers, knock on wood, hopefully it will all seal up well. It looks great so far.